Thursday, January 07, 2016

A Man sells son for 400 thousand naira to invest in business

A 28-year-old trader, Okwuchukwu Ibekwe , has been arrested by the Lagos State Police Command after he allegedly sold his five-month-old son  for N400,000 so that he could invest the money in his spare parts business, the Punch Newspaper reports.
Ibekwe who lives on Shinba Street in Iyana Ipaja area of the state, reportedly sold the child in connivance with his wife to a baby trafficking syndicate  based in Anambra State, when he experienced difficulties in his business.
It was gathered that Ibekwe had contacted one Chinelo, who is on the run, on December 17, 2015, for the transaction. The said Chinelo who stays in Ihiala, Anambra State, paid Ibekwe and his the sum of N400,000, with N250,000 going to the father while N150,000 was for the mother of the baby.
But trouble started for them on Ibekwe's return from the trip where he had gone to hand over the child, when he refused to give his wife her share of the money and the bitter woman reported the matter to the police before fleeing their residence, leaving her husband to bear the brunt.
Ibekwe was then arrested and detained at the Police Gender Unit, Ikeja, while police operatives also arrested Chinelo’s husband in though the baby and Chinelo had yet to be found.
When he was paraded, the suspect confessed to his crime, saying he collected the money from Chinelo in exchange for his son with the full knowledge of his wife.
“Chinelo was to give me N400,000 for the baby. My wife was the one who suggested that we dispose of the baby to meet our business needs. But Chinelo gave me N250,000 for the baby when I went to deliver him to her in Anambra State.
When I returned, my wife and I quarrelled and she ran away for three days. I did not know that she went to report the matter to the police. She was concerned with her own share of N150,000. I sell vehicle spare parts in Ladipo market.
It was a lawyer who called me that my wife had reported me to the police, and that I should come and see her. When I went there, I was arrested.
I do not know the whereabouts of my son. I did not know Chinelo would run away with my child.”
The State Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni, who paraded the suspect, said the case was undergoing intense investigation with a view to recovering the missing child

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Middlesbrough 0-3 Liverpool

Liverpool midfielder Adam Lallana celebrates scoring his team's third goal during the English Premier League football match between ...