Friday, January 08, 2016

Zinedine Zidane says he had been lifted into another dimension since his sensational appointment as Real Madrid coach four days ago.


The 43-year-old got right down to work within hours of Rafael Benitez being sacked on Monday night, as he takes the step up from his previous job handling Castilla, the Real B team.
Despite his limited experience the France 1998 World Cup winner said he was confident he could get the best out of his star-studded team.
“I was happy, I saw a focussed team who want to reconnect with certain things,” said Zidane after a training session this week.
“It was spectacular. The team had only one desire, to play.
“Tonight I’ll sleep very well because today’s (Friday) training was very good, as were the last three days.”
Former world player of the year Zidane, who finished his playing career at Real Madrid in 2006, said he had been impressed by the squad.
“I said as an aside to Karim (Benzema): ‘But what quality you have (the team)!’ They never lose the ball, when we do a possession exercise it’s difficult for those who defend to get the ball back.
“I can’t pick out a specific player, they are all very good. It’s a pleasure to observe that from the outside. I’m really convinced that it’s going to work out well, when you see this team and its quality, you can only say that.”
And he insisted he did not feel overwhelmed by expectations ahead of his first match on Saturday at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium against Deportivo La Coruna.
“People have talked a lot about it recently but those who come to the stadium will come to see their team play well and win, that’s the most important.
“For me it’s a landmark. You pass into another dimension. Everything has gone very fast.
“Monday I was preparing my match against Ebro (third division) and in the afternoon it all changed, changed.
“That’s what is amazing, but now I’m ready, well prepared. I hope tomorrow (Saturday), the result will come, but I don’t doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Middlesbrough 0-3 Liverpool

Liverpool midfielder Adam Lallana celebrates scoring his team's third goal during the English Premier League football match between ...