Thursday, January 07, 2016

DIOP: I Never Threatened Barcelona Players

The Espanyol midfielder was quoted as saying "if we had wanted to, the Barca players would have gone off on stretchers" after their heated Copa del Rey tie on Wednesday
Espanyol midfielder Papakouli Diop has claimed he was misquoted in the aftermath of his side's 4-1 defeat to Barcelona and never threatened rival players.
Diop was sent off in Wednesday's heated Copa del Rey match for swearing at Barca striker Luis Suarez with his side already down to 10 men.
The 29-year-old later defended Espanyol from accusations they were "violent" during the match and was quoted as saying: "If we had wanted to, the Barca players would have gone off on stretchers."
But Diop has insisted his words were either misrepresented or lost in translation

"At no time did I say that and I'd like it if things I actually said is what gets put into articles," he told Espanyol's official website. "Just changing a few letters can change the meaning of a phrase.
"It's possible that I wasn't understood in terms of language, but never, at any moment, have I wanted to talk about violence or threatening anyone.
"I wish the interview could have been recorded and you could see what I said. I insist that we're not a violent team - if we had been yesterday there would have been ugly fouls or injuries or people leaving on stretchers. That's what I wanted to say."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Middlesbrough 0-3 Liverpool

Liverpool midfielder Adam Lallana celebrates scoring his team's third goal during the English Premier League football match between ...